Tuesday

The album with lots of photos and tags


The-album-with-lots-of-photos-and-tags1

Happy 2018 friends! :)

So I accepted a seemingly simple project in November/December 2017 - a 4-page scrapbook album + cover with space for the givers to write personalized notes to the recipient. 

Not only did they take 3 weeks to send me the photos but the photos were mostly badly-composed ones taken with mobile phones.  That came unedited. Plus there were 50+ photos! And of course, they wanted it right after Christmas.  *dramatic sad music plays in the background* 


So I spent a few days thinking about the design of the scrapbook album since I wanted to use resources I had at hand and of course, decide which photos I wanted to use. Plus, the recipient was a dude which meant I couldn't use feminine elements. That was until the client said they wanted to fit as many photos in as possible. 

Seriously, at this point, I was ready to throw in the towel and say to the client, "I think you should get somebody else to do this..." because they haggled on the fee and just wanted to pay for a 4-page album.


But of course, the client was my sister-in-law and her colleagues. Yep. The family card came into play. So the show must go on. 


I went with pockets and pull-out tags for all the pages.  I kept the decorations simple and flattish - stickers and die-cuts to reduce bulkiness.


Some pull-out tags had more photos and space for the givers to write their personalized notes.


Now it's way easier to do a scrapbook album for people you know than it is for a bunch of strangers. Because I had no context for the photos at all. 



But since they supposedly like my style, I just did it my way - fun stickers and die-cuts with a little sense of humour. *winks*



Yes, there was great satisfaction in getting some of my stash used up. All my Xyron sticker machines were used to facilitate the completion of this project. 


Final count for photos included in album: 40.
Number of times I had to go to the store to print photos: 3.
Number of hours I spent editing photos: lost count.
Number of hours I spent working on the album: 50.
Sense of achievement and relief now that it's over: priceless.

Hope 2018 has been good to you so far! 



Share/Bookmark

Pin It

7 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

ALWAYS hard to complete a project for peeps you don't know ... totally get that!!!!! Ugh! Sorry you had a rough time with this! :( LOVING how it turned out though!! LOVING the colors! And thanks for the BIRD card!!! TOTALLY loved it and SO HAPPY to get a bird from you!!! I will treasure that forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Audrey Pettit said...

Omgosh, Yvonne! You nailed this! What a scary task this was, but you completely nailed it! This is amazing and so beautiful! Bravo on managing to include so many of their photos, too....no easy feat!

Dr Sonia S V said...

Way to go Yvonne ....you have such a humorous style of writing!!!
Cheers
Dr Sonia

Cindy deRosier said...

You forgot one key metric: hourly wage. It's painful to calculate, but I always do the math to figure out that I made 5 cents an hour, or something equally appalling! You did a fantastic job with this. I'm sure they love it!

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, this is amazing!! I don't know what they paid you, but it wasn't enough!! This is spectacular!! You really went above and beyond...and it shows!! Absolutely spectacular!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

yyam said...

Well, that got thrown out of the window the moment the photos came in. But since my SIL was the liason, I kind of felt obligated to just carry on with the project. The upside of including so many photos was the need for a lot of embellishments. Except for the cost of printing the photos and the MDF board for the base of the album, the rest of the supplies used were from my design team stash -cardstock, adhesive and stickers. Theoretically, I spent more time thinking about how to get the project together than the actual doing part - you know how it is when it comes to putting stuff together in a cohesive manner.

HappyMomentzz by Sharada Dilip said...

This is beautifully done and totally been there in such a situation <3 huggs

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It