Wednesday

How to turn a board book into a frame...and Moxie Fabber of the Week! :)



Board book to frame

Remember I said I had a surprise to share this week? Well, I'm the Moxie Fabber of the Week over at Moxie Fab World! How awesome is that! :) A big thanks to friends who have already left me some sweet love there! I shall bask in my 15 minutes of fame...*LOL*


Okay back to reality...today's project was my creative take on LESSology Challenge #1: The Altered Book Challenge! You can alter a book or make one from scratch as long as you include at least one upcycled item on your project. Our sponsor is Creative Charms who is offering up 2 fabulous prizes! I would love for you to play along! :)




I started with an old worn board book (approx 5.5x 7.5 inches). The pages were thin so if I wanted to use it as a book, I would really need to add paper to "fortify" it. So I decided to make it into a lightweight frame to house a vintage wedding photo of my parents.  What I did was to cut windows on the cover and inner pages (approx 4x6 inches), leaving the last page intact. The last page serves as the base for the frame.
I sanded on all the surfaces to make it easier for elements to adhere.



I embossed some soda cans and adhered to the cover. I added old music paper to the back with vintage mod podge for even aging. Then I applied alcohol ink in copper to match the overall tone of the project.


Then comes the fun part: embellishing. I found some old charms and an ice-cream...inked and stained them with distress and alcohol inks. These were adhered using Glossy Accents.  I also added crackle paint in rock candy for some subtle cracks on the base. Once I was happy with the placement of the elements, I glued the pages down for a sturdy frame.

What do you think? Let me know! :)

Linking this to the party at Fireflies and Jellybeans! :)

Share/Bookmark
Pin It

37 comments:

Lynnda said...

You are just amazing Yvonne... this is so inspiring piece!!!... Beautifully done as always... TFS... I'm working on it... hopefully I can make it... hugs...xoxo

Laurel said...

Wow, this is amazing! congrats on being Moxie Fabber! How did you cut the book?

Scrapcollectr said...

I came here via Lynn's blog and, wow, glad I did cuz that frame step by step is super! Congrats on being chosen Moxie Fabber.... I can see why! *smile*

Alice said...

congratulations, Moxie Fabber of the week! =) so very happy for you! =) and wow! amazing up-cycled project once again! i would never guess that it was from an old board book. love love the embossed soda can cover. you are amazing, girl! love love love this!

Deb Buckminster said...

What do I think?? Ummmm...WOW!!!!!

You really ARE Moxie Fab, ya know?

A STUNNING frame, Lynn!!!

Melanie - The Paper Retreat said...

CONGRATS!!! You are so deserving of the Moxie Fabber honor! I absolutely love your altered book frame! Thanks for sharing how you made it too! I am inspired. :) Melanie

Tigriswillreign said...

This is incredible!! Thanks for the fabulous tut!

Blossom inch said...

I have done that last 2 weeks, but my pages all stuck with a glue and it become wrinkle and not straight hence the result the frame is not as square as yours so I just throw it away, may be because I used thick old book with loads of papers to glue instead of like yours just a few pages. Great altered art Yvonne and I love the end result. Thanks for sharing!

scrapsnsuch@gmail.com said...

Well I just think this is moxie fab :>)
Amazing - so creative! There you go with the cans again, I find that just a tad bit scary. The older I get the more afraid I am of hurting myself ;>)
BTW, your fame lasts 10,080 minutes - you are the moxie fabber of the week after all!

Avni said...

I think........This is a masterpiece! This is so fab vintage look! Love all the elements u have added and I am amazed by what u do with candy sticks (i remember one project with a bird with candy stick....another masterpiece!):)

Smita said...

Lovely!!! I see you have upgraded to new upcycling since I last visited ;-) This is super cool....

Hugs,
Smita

~amy~ said...

Your altered book is amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Woot wootie Woot Woot on the moxie fab news!!!!!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I soooooooooooo love love love this Yvonne! Simply amazing! :):):):):):):):):):):)

sandi said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! This is fantastic! I really like what you've done with this book. Thanks for the steps...fab!

Isha Gupta said...

Congrats on being featured at Moxie Fab Yvonne. You sure do deserve it:)
This is such a lovely project. TFS

Hussena said...

amazing inspiration ,love the altered book and what u have done with it,congrats on being featured at the moxie fab:):)

Robin said...

Congrats moxie fabber!!!! Love the frame... such a brilliant idea!
Robin

Spardha said...

Super duper awesomely amazing idea!.. LOVE it! :D

Dora said...

I almost can't believe this is a book..and you really did use soda can? Just cut it and emboss??
I need to get some soda cans as soon as spossible! It is stunning!

farmhouse-story said...

congrats on your moxie fabber, yvonne! what a creative, clever project! love the embossed can, and the frame idea--just beautiful!

Lynn said...

this is soooo awesome! beautifully done!

ScrappingMomOf3 said...

What a great idea! I'm definitely going to be trying this!

Lea said...

Seriously, you guys over at LESSology are blowing me away with all your books! LOVE THIS! The pop cans are brilliant!

alexandra s.m. said...

How fun!
Great project!
TFS~

Maggi said...

I just love this book to frame project! I'll have to ransack Toot's books and see what I can do, lol! Congrats on being a Moxie Fabber, I'm off to say hello over there! D:

Annette Allen said...

love your ideas... Congrats for being a Moxie Fabber... so cool..

Deb Buckminster said...

Yvonne, please forgive yesterday's blunder! I thought that Lynn Miller had made the altered book frame!! (I follow her blog and followed a link to yours.)

Your frame is JUST as FABULOUS as when I thought it was created by Lynn! Ha!

Ah me...

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Oh wow!!! What a fab frame and awesome idea!!! I love it!!! How does it stand up - did you leave one page unstuck? :)

Angi Barrs said...

Super gorgeous altered project. I've been wanting to try using distressed inks. Thanks for the motivation. Love this!!!
And BIG CONGRATS on being the Moxie Fabber of the week. Hugs!!!

Debbie said...

Congrats on the Moxie Fabber of the Week!!! You are so well deserving of this!!!!!! Love how you altered the board book! Love the effect using the embossed soda cans! How unique!!

Theresa said...

this is just so unique and lovely.. i think the DT did a wonderful job with the challenge. I got so many wonderful ideas from it.
Thanks a bunch!!! =)

Linda said...

Oh my goodness! this is wonderful. I have to give this a try!

RiNNE said...

So gorgeous!!!

Erum Tasneem said...

SUPER AMAZING!! just brilliant!

Priya Sivaraj said...

this is a masterpiece Yyvone!! seriously!! how in the world , you get such ideas!!!?fantastic!congratulations on Moxie Fabber!

Ella Swan said...

This is drop dead gorgeous!! Seriously, I am just picking myself up off the floor....

Rose said...

*gasp* gorgeous and stunning and fantastic all in one!!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It