Friday

1 stencil, 8 ways



Friends, you know how much I love my stencils. I reach for them and some colorants when I need to quickly do up a background or to add a little bit of texture to help me finish up my projects. Here is one of my fave 6x6 stencil from The Crafter's Workshop used in 8 different ways.

Neutral-mixed-media-card
Making a statement out of neutrals

1. Tone down a bright background.

The background that was created with residual mist and another stencil was a little "loud" so I applied a very thin layer of light modeling paste with the stencil. You can still see a bit of the colour peeking through paste but the paste helped to tone down the background and formed the perfect backdrop for my focal point.



2. A "catchment" area for mica flakes.

I really wanted the mica flakes to sparkle here so I used my stencil with a thick layer of light modeling paste, sprayed some purple mist, applied some gel medium and sprinkled the mica flakes on top for dimensional sparkle.

Mixed-media-canvas-by-Yvonne-Yam-for-ColourArte
Mixed media canvas for ColourArte

3. Cover up a "patchy" background.

The base layer was covered with remnant bits of tulle and lace that turned out "patchy" so I applied a thin layer of light modeling paste with the stencil to tie everything together.


For-the-love-of-purple
For the love of purple

4. Serve as a grid.

Here I used the defined edges of the stencil design as a grid to stick my bling on.

Vintage-inspired-mixed-media-canvas
How to create a vintage-inspired mixed media canvas

5. Break up a pattern.

The vintage patterned paper I used for the background didn't help to guide the eye to the focal point so I broke up the pattern with the stencil + light modeling paste + Silks Acrylic Glazes.

Pink-mixed-media-card-by-Yvonne-Yam-for-The-Crafter's-Workshop
Can I stick to supplies I pulled out?

6. Add subtle texture to the background.

Here I used the stencil with some watered-down gesso for a subtle pattern on the patterned paper.

7. Create a "water-coloured" background.

A light mist and some water on a stencil and you can get the look of a water-coloured background.

Mixed-media-box
Purple mixed media box for Made with Love

8. Add a decorative border to a box.

Instead of using patterned paper to decorate the base of my box, I used the stencil with light modeling paste and mist to add a decorative border around my box.

There you have it, 1 stencil, 8 ways. Do you have a fave?


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

15 comments:

StirYourCreativity said...

I could have never imagined so many ways of using a stencil. Thanks for sharing really good article

Suman Pandit said...

Yvonne, I loved the watercolor look and the purple box, thanks for showing so many ways to use the stencils !!

SD pooja said...

8 Fab ways to utilize a stencil ! I too have this stencil and after reading your post I think I have barely used it ;) ! Each of your project has style and choose a fav is impossible!

Dr Sonia S V said...

What a fabulous post and you have inspired me to bring out the stencils!!
Cheers
Dr Sonia

Lynn said...

Amazing use of a stencil...can't believe how creative you are....the pieces are gorgeous.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

You are seriously amazing!!!!!!!!!

Vasundhara Agarwal said...

Love this post!! i shld get my craft supplies out!

Audrey Pettit said...

I am always in awe with how you use stencils and colorants/mediums in your projects! Always adds the most beautiful and artistic touch to your work! You are a genius, my friend!

Cindy deRosier said...

You are the master of stencils! It's fabulous how you manage to get such different looks from the same stencil. My poor, neglected stencils almost never see the light of day.

Lisa said...

You are amazing!! I love the different ways you've showcased the stencil!! Each one is stunning!! Wow!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Lizzy Hill said...

Fave? Pick a fave? Impossible!!! Clever, clever girl & totally inspiring. My stencils have had a bit of a rest for a while. MUST get them out!!! Thanks for all these ideas, too:):)

Sindhu said...

wow..All project are awesome in its way...

Mitralee said...

All these in one place was so much awesomeness that I never commented the first time...just let my mouse take a stroll and my eyeballs...super cool post!

Annette Allen said...

you do amazing things with stencils.. love all your projects

Karon said...

Love love the way you add texture! Gorgeous!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It