Thursday

How to use mats to create interest on your layouts...:)


Smile sweet girl

Hello friends! Today I want to share how to matting can be used to create interest on your layouts. :)

For the photos, I
1. Used a chipboard as a frame
2. Matted with scrap cardstock/patterned paper
3. Double matted with scrap cardstock/patterned paper


Matting gives the photo depth but is a real paper waster unless you use scraps [mine usually has stamping or journaling underneath it actually] or you can cut out the backs of the paper.


I placed all three photos on a piece of patterned paper and used some scrap brown cardstock to mat that patterned paper [these are strips of brown cardstock to reduce the bulkiness]. It wasn't big enough to mat the whole piece of patterned paper...so I used some red patterned paper scrap for the last bit [on the right]...again, I didn't have enough [notice the gap?] so I strategically placed some burlap and a butterfly element there to "distract"...I'm sure you wouldn't have noticed if I didn't tell you! *LOL*


My main photo mat was propped up on 3D dots so that I can slip little bits of burlap, doiley and pearls underneath.


I crumpled some wrapping tissue to serve as a mat for my journaling. 
I used the sketch at PageMaps.

What do you think? To mat or not to mat? *LOL*

Supplies :(from Your Scrapbook Stash) Crate Paper chipboard, sitckers and papers, Others: wrapping tissue, buttons, burlap, pearls,doiley, butterfly embellishment, Prima canvas letters.

*Edited* I won the PageMaps Spunky Sprouts contest! :)



Share/Bookmark
Pin It

28 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loveeeeeeeeeeee this!! I love love love how you put this together!! LOVING the tissue paper!! :):):):):):):):):):)

Unknown said...

You are genius...I would have never considered a tissue paper...love the way you used it.And the overall effect is fantastic too

Hussena said...

hey never knew that matting required so many elements thanks for sharing,i totally love your layout its very interesting the way u combine so many things together it all looks so beautiful.

RiNNE said...

Terrific!! Sometimes I mat ;), other times I don't.

Dora said...

I think I always mat, and this is a fabtastic lo!

Vasu said...

Wow, love the idea, u r so creative, I always love ur layouts. The interesting colour combinations and the cute tiny treats


http://www.etsy.com/shop/Rosabellebyvasu

Spardha said...

WOW!.. matting really does good!.. I never knew that! ;)
love the LO!.. the pics are adorable! *touch wood!* :D
oh and I love your journaling idea! :D

Lynnda said...

Honestly I always MAT... and I knew its wasting !!!... but I can't help it... So I would say MAT!!! LOL... I love your layout and what you did... as always you're way too GOOD(FUN too)... cute photos too... and I must say again I love your handwriting!!! Beautiful!!! hugs...xoxo

Lea said...

Love the types of matting! I use scraps often but have never matted one photo with 2 different colors, it looks great!!!

Karen B. said...

I wouldn't have noticed you running out of the mat, a perfect idea! I like to mat photos, I mostly do it more often than not. Cute layout too!

Unknown said...

WOW!!!! love the layers adding to the photos... the doily, butterflies, PP... are so pretty together!

Erum Tasneem said...

oh my god! i absolutely love the scrunched tissue!!! it looks incredible. I like the paper and dolies too! LOVE the torn, distressed look.

Sherry Eckblad said...

LOVE it! Like I always say "I want to be you when I grow up".

farmhouse-story said...

my eye likes the pop the mats give. another gorgeous page full of great tips! thanks, yvonne!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Cute!!! I like the tissue paper under the journaling, it kind of add texture and interest, how cool!

Debbie said...

Clever use of the tissue paper!! Love the added texture. To mat or not to mat ---- MAT! It makes the photos pop!! Gorgeous layout!!!

~amy~ said...

such a fab layout...love all the layers!

scrapsnsuch@gmail.com said...

I vote to mat :>) Chock full of tips and you created such a wonderful LO!

Sparkplug17 said...

This is just darling!

Blossom inch said...

this is beautiful!

Sue Althouse said...

I love to mat and layer and love your creative ideas!

Audrey Pettit said...

Love it, love it! Definitely adds a ton of visual detail, all your matting. I really like how you pieced some of it, too, and filled in with burlap. To me, it looks even more interesting than one solid piece. Really beautiful!

Alice said...

really love that you use scraps for matting. i should start doing that instead of cutting a new piece of paper. you have such acute sense of design and balance, Yvonn! love love the burlap and tissue paper in this. fabulous layout. love it!

TesaB said...

Stunning page. Great framing of photos!!! The Crate paper is a favorite, love it on a layout like this, so beautiful!!! And burlap - yummy!!!

BOXERGEK said...

Wow this is beautiful!

Sharm Nidyanandan said...

this is coolio teamie!! :) love the use of tissue paper and thanks for sharing on matting!! :)

Ella Swan said...

Love the crumpled tissue paper! I print out my own photographs with a white border around them to save on the matting. Geez I save so much cardstock these days since I've started doing that...Occasionally I still matt with cardstock but with the white photo edge it's not so necessary now...but I still love to layer bits & pieces behind the photos...

Angi Barrs said...

Wonderful tips on using mats. Love the chipboard and the doilies. :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It